Sunday, August 10, 2014

Welcome Ashley Maher!

Pilates Platinum is excited to welcome Ashely Maher, our newest instructor, to the team! Ashley joins us straight from New York City's competitive ballet and pilates scene. Known for her killer oblique and tush-toning workouts, her classes are sure to bring on a new burn!

Enjoy the interview below to get to know Ashley a little better, and catch her classes starting this week!

Welcome to the team, Ashley!
PP- How were you introduced to Pilates on the Megaformer?

AM- I was first introduced to pilates through being a ballet dancer.  We did pilates as rehabilitation and to keep up our strength during off seasons.  I had been teaching floor pilates for years but was craving a workout that was a bit more intense and upbeat.  A client of mine owned a megaformer studio and asked me to teach.  I fell in love straight away.
PP- What brings you to Pilates Platinum?

AM- I have just moved to Los Angeles and had heard great things about Pilates Platinum.  I took one class at the Venice location and knew right away it would be a good fit.

PP- What are some of your go-to Pilates moves? And what’s your all-time favorite Lagree Fitness exercise?

AM- I am a bit oblique and butt obsessed.  I think you get easy results working those areas.  So, I love teasers and french twists for obliques and scrambled egg variations for the glutes!

PP- Favorite type of apparel to wear while working out?

AM- Seeing that I usually teach a lot of classes I live in workout clothes.  Therefore, anything too tight for too long is out.  Comfort is preferred.  I love really short shorts.

PP- What are you most likely up to if you're not in the studios? (other activities, hobbies, groups, classes, jobs…etc.)

AM- I spent 20 years of my life being a ballet dancer.  I am studying some natural healing methods and love anything to do with being in our bodies. This phase in my life now is all about quality of life and enjoyment.  I am a total foodie and pretty laid back.  I love spending time with friends and my lovely boyfriend.  Growing vegetables, exercising, listening to live music and traveling.  Oh and I am a hopeful biplane pilot.  Haven't fulfilled this dream yet, but I will soon!

PP- Who is your favorite singer, band, or musician?

AM- Well not to be biased but my favorite thing in the world is watching my boyfriend perform.  He has a band with his brother called "The Kin."  They are truly amazing and I am really proud of all of their success.  Cheesy but true.

PP- What’s the most exciting trip you’ve been on? Or, where would you love to travel to next and why?

AM- I have been fortunate to travel to some amazing places but if pressed to pick I would say Iceland.  We just had a blast.  Such out of this world landscapes that were so remote that you were the only ones there.  Hiking up the sides of waterfalls and roaming to random hot springs in the middle of nowhere.  Truly magical.

PP- Who or what inspires you?

AM- I have an amazing healer that I have seen for years.  His name is Jei Atacama.  He has completely transformed my understanding of life and is always inspiring me to live my truest life.  He is a blessing and a dear friend.

PP- What’s the best song title to explain your teaching style?

AM- Hmmmm....lets go with Ellie Goulding's, "Burn".  Megaformer is definitely all about feeling the burn.

PP- If you had to describe Pilates in 3 words, what would they be?

AM- Full Body Workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment