Monday, December 9, 2013

Rice Cakes-healthy snack or unhealthy snack

I love rice cakes, I think they are a great snack to get us to the next meal.  I have been eating them for awhile now and think they pair well with nut butters...yum! 

Lately though I have been reading some bad rap on them.  How can my beloved snack, all of a sudden be an unhealthy food?  I have always known and have read many sources saying they aren't a very nutrient dense food, that I do agree with.  However, when we are trying to get through the afternoon without munching on a lot of calories, I agree that it is a great snack to choose.  It is the latest news I am reading that sources say that a rice cake can send your blood sugar levels soaring!  Yikes, that is definitely something I do try and avoid.  With much curiosity I decided to investigate this claim.

The Glycemic Index is the way in which one can tell if a certain food is going to spike your blood sugar levels or not.  Good foods are those very low in numbers on the scale.  The scale is a ranking out of 100.  I went to the Glycemic Index website and typed in rice cakes.  Sure enough the number that popped up, was surprisingly high...91!  This still made me scratch my head, how could something so low in sugar, be so high on the scale.  With further investigating, I saw that the score is based off of 25g of rice cakes.  A single serving rice cake is 9g...

Now I am no nutritionist, but it seems as though one rice cake are just fine and wont spike your blood sugar since this score is based on if you were eating at least 3 or more rice cakes.  I would love to hear anyone's reaction to this and if you all agree with me or not.  I am still going to eat some rice cakes, beats putting other things in my mouth to munch on :-)

Crunch on!


No comments:

Post a Comment