Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Trainer Tuesday! A Day in the Life of Kiana Greir

This Tuesday, Pilates Platinum would like to welcome a new trainer for Sundays at our Venice Beach Studio, Kiana! Kiana has always been passionate about health, wellness, fitness and nutrition, as a dancer, surfer, and competitive volleyball player. We’re excited to have her on the PP team! Read below to learn more about Kiana, and hop into one of her classes starting Sunday’s in Venice Beach.

A Day in the Life of Kiana Grier
Pilates Instructor (Venice Beach Studio)
What are your favorite Pilates moves? 
I love the deep stretch in Long Jump Lunge and I love the immediate effects of French Twist!

What is one of your favorite non-Pilates workouts? 
I love anything that might be different or challenges my body in a completely different way, like a kickboxing or dance class or pilates! Yoga, running, and hiking are my favorite go-tos on days I'm not taking a pilates class! I'm so lucky to live in California where there are so many beaches and hiking trails to explore :)

What’s your exercise routine like for a typical week?
Monday: yoga and run
Tuesday: hiking
Wednesday: dance/kickboxing
Thursday: spin/surfing :)
Friday: pilates and a beach run
Saturday: anything outdoors! or a new class with a friend :)
Sunday: Pilates  

What are some of your favorite healthy foods?
I love learning about new possibilities for salads and I love exploring farmers markets throughout the week. Eating and preparing seasonal fruits and veggies has really changed how my body feels and especially how my body stays strong and fit working out and staying active:)

What does your workout and eating schedule for a typical day like?
When do you wake up?
Besides early classes I usually wake up at 7am. I am also in graduate school so a consistent wake up time really helps keep a good exercise and study routine to keep my energy up!

What do you eat for breakfast?
I love a good cup of coffee and eggs with veggies and avocado. Most days during the week I'm on the run, so I it's usually a coffee plus a protein shake- Vega protein, almond milk, flax, dates and piece of fruit.  

What do you do in the first half of a typical day?
The first half of a typical day I am either teaching classes in the morning then I am doing research and reading for graduate school! I love learning and apply that to everything I do- in the studio, in the classroom, in life!

What do you eat for lunch?
I usually eat as colorful of a salad as I can! -with a protein like tuna, chicken, or turkey and good fat source like avocado. If I'm being a little naughty I love a good   old fashioned turkey sandwich with cheese on gluten free bread :) 

What do you do during a typical afternoon?
Because of my school schedule I'm usually on my way to school during the week! Any time I'm not driving to class, I love to spend my time reading or doing something active or outside with my friends and family.

What do you eat for dinner?
Dinner is usually a lean meat and veggies, salad or a quinoa salad. 
What do you do for a workout on a typical day?
During the week my workouts need to be efficient and effective. I love a good run at the Santa Monica stairs or on Ocean Ave, surfing, a dance class, a yoga class to get my heart rate up and sweat, AND of course Pilates! I'm a busy girl, and I love inspiring people who think that they don't have time- you have to take time for you… workouts are fun and important to make time for!

What do you do on a typical night? 
My friends and I are really good about trying new places for a cocktail and live music. But I'll admit most nights I'm catching up on some of my Netflix shows and studying for school! 

What time do you go to sleep?
I need to be in bed no later than 11pm! Even though I'm a student I told myself for grad school I vow to never pull an all nighter again! I believe that sleep is just as important as the workouts you do and the food you put in your body. 

What’s your favorite part of your day?
My favorite part of my day is helping people push past a barrier or edge in Pilates classes. There is nothing like the smiles after a good workout, and there is nothing like the thank yous. I'm a client too so I know what a good boost of endorphins can do to your day :) I love seeing that in my clients when they leave class.  

What’s your biggest source of inspiration…what keeps you going everyday?
I'm inspired by people and their ability to change, work through something challenging, to endure. The studio and pilates workout is microcosmic to the work that you do in your life, at your jobs. I believe that mental strength is something that we learn and can continue to learn. I try to take this into everything that I do and bring that inspiration to my classes :) 

What are your trainer tips or words of advice for people interested in Pilates and a healthy lifestyle?
"Good habits are as addictive as bad habits, but much more rewarding." YOU have the power to choose what you bring into your life, make it healthy, make it fun, make it sweaty, make it rewarding! 

2 comments: