Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Working Out During Vacations


There should be no excuse at all to fit in cardio when you are on the road!

It's hard to keep up with your daily workout routine when you're out of town for the holidays, but you want to have some way of keeping that holiday weight down. What do you do when you're in a particularly tough environment that doesn't really allow for much outdoor activity?

I was just in Telluride, Colorado for the holidays, where my daily run/hike was not possible because of the ice and snow on the streets. What did I do to keep up with my cardio? I jumped rope. It's easy enough to carry on your luggage - just pack the light weight and lets not forget inexpensive rope.

But I'll be the first to admit it, it's not as easy at it looks. I can easily run seven miles, but, wow, was I sweating after only thirty minutes of jumping rope. Even if this sounds too intimidating, break it up in 10 minute intervals mixed in with planks/side planks/bicycle crunches.

What are the benefits to jumping rope?

  • Rocks your heart rate on par with running, but without the joint-jarring impact.
  • Works on your agility, posture, balance, reflexes and coordination
  • Tones your calves, delts and arms and abs.


1 comment:

  1. Pilates is really a fantastic way to stay fit, and I found it to have been incredibly beneficial on a personal level. But recently, I read this article (http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/showlink.aspx?bookmarkid=J5FPDV39U0E7&preview=article&linkid=bf45c49c-086b-43c9-a819-efc7ce20e30b&pdaffid=ZVFwBG5jk4Kvl9OaBJc5%2bg%3d%3d) and frankly, I’m amazed at the amount some of these trainers charge for a workout. Can anybody tell my whether it’s really a better workout system, or just the rich aiming the rice? $130 a workout? REALLY?

    ...must be some magic dust I’m missing out on or something for such a pretty penny, eh?

    ReplyDelete