Tuesday, September 24, 2013

PP Instructor Feature: Ms. Day




NICOLE DAY

I had been taking classes for 3 years, and was able to start critiquing the teachers' routines. "Oh, it would have been more challenging if she had ended the routine with this move instead of that one." My wonderful friend who teaches recommended I train, and that's how it began! With Spin, I love my bike. It was my main source of transportation in Colorado, where I'm from. Boulder, Colorado is the bike capital of the world. LA is not the most bike friendly, so biking inside was a great new place to go. 
 Favorite Exercise
I love lunges. Isometric poses (holding an exercise without moving). Bungee. You know, the really hard ones. 
Most Challenging Exercise 
Love me some leg sweep. French twist. Giant wheel barrel. Knee-strap crunch.
Favorite Way to make yourself sweat 
I love pilates, spin, hot yoga and running. Those are my 4 staples. When I'm back in Colorado, mountain biking and climbing. 
Favorite Healthy Food 
I am currently addicted to My Fit Foods. It's right next door to the Brentwood location. It's insanely well-priced, you know exactly how many calories you've eaten for the day, and my big problem is portion control. They create perfect portions for you. Love them. Favorite unhealthy food? The Frosted Cupcakery next to the Hollywood studio. Chocolate peanut butter butterfinger cupcakes. Ughhhh.
Most Unique Quality 
My sense of humor is pretty weird. I guess weird can be a synonym for unique. 
Favorite Place 
Anywhere by the beach. 
Why Should Someone Come Take My Class 
I teach both the most advanced and most beginner class at the same time. I give modifications for almost all of the routine. I have a bad back myself, and have to modify a lot of stuff when I take class. I've appreciated over the years teachers that have taken their time to let me in on how to adjust for my back, so I'm not just stuck watching everyone do something I can't do and wait for the next exercise. Conversely, for every move, I tell you how you can make it more advanced. My back can kill me doing some moves, then again, I have the strongest legs and really want to work them above and beyond the standard exercise. The most beginner person can take my class, the most advanced, and right in between, and all levels will be satisfied. Also, I hate taking a "bad" class. I am addicted to Pilates myself, and it ruins my day taking a "bad" class. So, I really try to go out of my way to make sure I don't ruin anyone's day!
 Type Of Energy You Can Find In My Class and Music
I almost exclusively get all of my music from an Iphone application called the Hype Machine. Check it out! A $3.99 one time fee, and your set! I play all types of music. Here's a sample from my current playlist: Constant Conversations (Passion Pit), Black Out Days (Phantogram), Applause (Lady Gaga), The Con (Tegan and Sara), We Are Together (Planet of Sound), this great Eminem vs Daniel Portman mashup, Pon De Floor (Major Lazer), Sixteen Saltines (Jack White), Quiet Dog Barks Hard (Mos Def), Solsbury Hill (Peter Gabriel). I play a little of everything. 
Some Advice To Share 
A healthy diet is just as important, if not more, than working out. You can't just do one or the other. You have to commit to both. 
 What Cocktail Best Encompass Me
I have no idea what cocktail I would be. Tons of fruit, barely any alcohol and last minute, throw some sorbet in there with 8 umbrellas (I can only drink liquor if it tastes like a child's slushie)

No comments:

Post a Comment