Thursday, January 23, 2014

2014 Detox 101: Continued

Earlier this week I talked about Juice Cleansing and how popular Juicing is in Los Angeles, but a post-holiday detox doesn’t have to involve a juice-only diet. There are so many ways to start living a healthier lifestyle, and I’m going to share with you some of the things I like to do to get back on a healthy track, and detox sans-juice.

REST: Get some more ZZZzzzz’s! Chances are you’ve tried to cram everything in your schedule- cooking and cleaning and traveling, in between working and staying active. This can leave even the most energetic person exhausted. My post-holiday detox always includes getting more rest. Try turning off the lights early, not using your computer or phone in bed, or reading instead of catching another episode of television.

FUN: Have some fun! It’s easy to get stressed and feel defeated when tackling new lifestyle changes. Make sure you put some focus on having fun, too. Take a new class, or go on a hike you’ve never tried before. Go explore your neighborhood, say hi to strangers, pet a dog, or cook dinner for a friend… When you’re having fun, you’re smiling and laughing and happy. And that’s a huge part of my post-holiday detox.

GREENS: Add greens to your diet! This is a must for any time of the year. Green vegetables are one of the most energy-rich foods out there. Dark, leafy, yummy, and filled with nutrients- you can eat raw greens in a salad, blend spinach or kale into a smoothie, or get creative with your mid-day snacks (celery with almond butter, or homemade kale chips for example). There are so many ways to add green veggies to your day and doing so will help you reach your healthy detox goals.


TEA:  Drink more tea! Green Tea, Herbal Tea, Dandelion-Root Tea, Chamomile Tea…I could go on and on. Green tea in the morning gives me the boost I want without grabbing a cup of coffee (and leaves me with much better breath than my lattes!). Herbal Teas have such strong flavors and I love to drink one as an afternoon pick-me-up. Dandelion-Root Tea, which is well known for detoxing the liver, is great if you’ve overdone it with the champagne this past season. It’ll also help cleanse your skin, and although it’s not as common as Green Tea, you can find it at Whole Foods. Chamomile Tea has become my nightly favorite. Add a splash of Almond Milk and some Honey and thank me later.
(above image from healthylifestyletea.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment