Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Trainer Tuesday! A Day in the Life of Kirsti Slager

Today Pilates Platinum is highlighting Kristi! In addition to sharing her fav Pilates moves and healthy snacks, Kristi also talks about dancing and her homemade Green Juice. Read on to learn more about Kristi and get pumped on Pilates!

A Day in the Life of Kristi Slager
Pilates Instructor (Hollywood Studio)
@KristiSlager
What are your favorite Pilates moves? 
Teaser, Scrambled eggs, Skater

What is one of your favorite non-Pilates workouts? 
I used to teach Barre at Rockit Workouts in Pasadena-- great place with live DJs. There is a GREAT instructor there named Sky who teaches an amazing sweat-it-out Cardio Hip Hop class. It's a blast and you are drenched afterwards! Nothing like a workout that feels like a party!

What’s your exercise routine like for a typical week?
A lot of my working out is in the form of teaching-- as I do the workout with the students a lot of the time. I teach a dance class called Dance for Artists (DfA) 5 mornings a week-- I do the cardio warm-up/stretch with the class and the choreography which gets me moving first thing!

Monday: DfA, Private Dance Cardio Class
Tuesday: Dfa, Ballet Class at Millennium with Kana (She is an angel. This is my own form of personal yoga;)
Wednesday: Dfa, Brian Evans' Cycle-Pilates Class if I can get my bum there in time before my classes!
Thursday: DfA,  Ballet Class with Kana 
Friday: DfA
Saturday: Good ol' rest....
Sunday: A good hike with my 2 beloved Pitbulls and my Fiance in Griffith Park.
What are some of your favorite healthy foods?
I almost live on nuts and nut butters as a major source of lasting energy (Almond, Peanut, etc.) I love a good apple to snack on when I have the munchies-- sweet and satisfying. I also love Ezekhial Raisen Bread in the morning as toast... nutritious and so tasty…..


What does your workout and eating schedule for a typical day like?
I wake up around 6-6:30am everyday and make breakfast-- coffee, Ezekhial Raisen toast and an egg. I try to drink an entire liter of water in the morning to replace the fluids lost in the night and get my system hydrated. I then take 20-30 minutes to journal and wake up to the day ahead.  I then spend some time planning the classes I am teaching that day.  

Then it's off to class! I teach anywhere from 2-6 classes per day so the day is about fueling myself right. I never leave the house without Trader Joe's "Handful of Almonds" packets, a Larabar or two, and some fruit. I have to eat every 2-3 hours. This helps me keep my energy up and my metabolism moving-- not to mention it keeps my mood stable and happy!

Lunch is often a multi-grain tortilla with Hummus and veggies (I'm mostly a vegetarian-- I eat eggs and some dairy, but mostly non-animal derived foods.) Lunch also includes dried fruit (for something sweet,) a couple spoonfuls of almond-butter for good fat-- and because I LOVE it so much.  I snack pretty much all day long.

In the afternoons I get a little break from teaching-- this is when I focus on my other career (acting,) and then I walk my dogs and usually it's back to teaching.  

I try to have a good meal before I teach at the end of the day so I have the energy. Rice and veggies with a "Green juice" I make in the blender (kale, spinach, lemon slice, and a whole orange.) I always end the day with some dark chocolate. It is my comfort food of choice!  Perhaps I'll snack on some fruit too.

I try to be in bed by 10 for a full 8-hour night, but usually that's wishful thinking and I'm asleep at more like 11pm.  

What’s your favorite part of the day?
My favorite part of the day are the mornings when I get to start the day in a cosy chair with my journal contemplating my day... I'm also much more energetic in the morning ad I love to start the day early!  

What’s your biggest source of inspiration…what keeps you going everyday?
I have a great life. I get to work doing things that I love that make a difference in people's lives. I have an amazing fiancĂ© and two dog-children who make me laugh everyday. I am so lucky.  When I take the time to really have perspective on that... it is so inspiring. Plus, I'm an artist and the impulse to express myself pushes me to try new things and create.  Finally, music is a HUGE inspiration for me.  Music makes me want to move, create, and imagine. I change my playlist up every two weeks because good music gives me energy and makes things so much fun. (the secret is that I find new music more for me than for my students!)
What are your trainer tips or words of advice for people interested in Pilates and a healthy lifestyle?
A healthy lifestyle is just that, a life. style.  It's a practice just like Pilates is a practice, like yoga is a practice... and practice means that you practice whenever you can and you get better and better at it the more you practice. A healthy lifestyle is the same way. It takes practice. 
The more you make healthy choices, the healthier your lifestyle becomes and overtime, you are living mindfully in a way that supports your health without feeling deprived. You are no longer the roller-coaster of binging and deprivation. Be patient with yourself and kind. I have found that the more love I can give myself, the more I treat myself to healthy lifestyle choices, because I feel like I deserve the best. 

See more of Kristi in her Trainer Bio video HERE!!


1 comment: