Thursday, March 20, 2014

Yummy Garden Ministrone Soup with Kale!

Today I was inspired by beautiful veggies I purchased at the Farmer's Market on Wednesday and I wanted to share one of my favorite ways to use my fresh veggies to make a dish I can eat all week long. :) This soup includes more than 2 servings of muscle-protecting, antioxidant-packed veggies! It's great to support your healthy lifestyle and refuel you after hard core Pilates workouts!

Originally found in Men's Journal, I've tweaked this soup to make it leaner and tastier, while keeping 16 grams of protein per serving!

Try out my version of this recipe below and let me know what you think!

Garden Minestrone Soup with Kale:

What you need:
- one 14 ½ oz. can of diced tomatoes with juice
- one 15 oz. can of garbanzo beans (rinsed, drained)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 large carrot (chopped)
- 3 celery stalks, more if desired (chopped)
- half of a sweet onion (chopped)
- 3 garlic cloves, more or less, depending on your preference (crushed)
- 2 cups baby kale (or any type of kale!)
- salt and pepper to taste

- 1 handful fresh basil (to throw on top at the end)

What to do:
-Combine all of the ingredients (except for the kale, salt and pepper, and basil) in a large pot and bring to a boil.
-Reduce heat and simmer, covered for about 40 minutes.
-Add the kale and cook for about 10 more minutes.
-Season with salt, pepper, and fresh basil on top.
-Enjoy!!
(This soup keeps in the fridge easily, and is a quick and healthy lunch to bring to work for the whole week!)

Nutritional Info: 282 calories per serving, 5 grams of fat, 55 grams carbohydrates, 17 grams of dietary fiber, 16 grams protein

No comments:

Post a Comment